Friday, September 19, 2008

Droh Kaal Vs Kuruthipunal

Watched Droh Kaal, the original version of Kuruthipunal a couple of weeks ago. I had major expectations, what with it being the source of one of the best Tamil movies ever made and having all the three people of Hindi Cinema - Om Puri, Naseeruddin Shah and Amrish Puri - who can really act. I have only one word for this movie. DISAPPOINTED! At the end of this movie, I was so glad that Kamalhassan made this movie in Tamil.
I can still remember, when Karthik and I walked out of the theater after watching Kuruthipunal, I was trying hard to comprehend all the immaculate details and the realistic portrayal of the way terrorists operate, we met this friend of Karthik's from BITS, who had the guts to tell us that the dialogues were more powerful in Droh Kaal. If I had seen this movie then, I would have laughed my ass off. OK, I don't know how to speak Hindi, but I can understand most of it. I swear people, I am not the "Ek Gaun mein, ek kissaaaaaaan, raghu thaatha" kind of person! Kuruthipunal's intensity was mainly achieved by dialogues written by thalaivar. For example, "Veeram na enna theriyuma, bayam illadha maadhiri nadikaradhu dhaan. Un bayathai un kannule naan paathuten, adhai medhuva nithaanama veliye kondu vandhu unakke arimuga padutharen". There was not even a single dialague in Droh Kaal that was even remotely close to that.
Forget the dialogues. Let's compare the terrorist leader in both the movies. Aasish Vidyarthi looked innocent at best, to the extent of "Vaaile veral vecha kooda kadikka theriyadhu". Nasser's Badri on the other hand was more than an equal to Kamal's Aadhi. Right from the beginning, we know that Nasser couldn't be killed that easily and it's confirmed by Kamal's battles, both verbal and physical, with him.
Overall, Droh Kaal was inferior to Kuruthipunal is many aspects, including production quality, which was truly below average. Of course, star power helped the Tamil version a lot. I have only one thing to say to the guy who commented on my post "Who killed my favorite actor?": Watch the Original first and then you'll know how good the remake is. This is truly a case of the remake being a far better movie than the original.

11 comments:

kozhumum said...

Can't agree more with you. Kurudhipunal is definitely a class apart.

Regards, Karthik

P.S: I am not from Santhome, originally from Chennai, now in Tokyo.

Parupps said...

Good to have a comment from someone I don't know. Keep up the good work! HEHE! ;)

ராமுடு said...

BTW - dialogues was not written by Kamal. It was done by Mr.Balakumaran.

Raj said...

ராமுடு - Screenplay and dialogues are by Kamalhassan. This is a cult movie. Today i watched this movie and i cannot get my eyes out. Almost 20 yrs(95 Diwali release) passed but the movie is still fresh.

GK, I am here to motivate you said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
GK, I am here to motivate you said...

Both DK n KP r good movies

Indeed,KP was a bit ahead in production values n star power.

Unknown said...

Hi buddy.You have written a brilliant article. Naan oru North Indian irukken. But I am an ardent fan of Tamizh language and cinema. Could you please enlighten me by telling the meaning of "Veeram na enna theriyuma, bayam illadha maadhiri nadikaradhu dhaan. Un bayathai un kannule naan paathuten, adhai medhuva nithaanama veliye kondu vandhu unakke arimuga padutharen" in English?

Warm Regards

Unknown said...

To Pranay Pathak...Here goes the translation of the dialogue you desired:-

Veerta Kya hoti hai pata hai.. Nidar hone ka natak. Maine dar ko tumhari aankhon mein dekh liya hai...Usey dheere dheere bahar nikalkar main tujhise parichay karaunga...

Unknown said...

Dhanyavad Ranganatha Bhai Sahab. Aap toh bahut utkrisht Hindi bolte hain. Mikka Nandri Anna.

Unknown said...

To Pranay Pathak...

Thanks for praising my Hindi...I accept your tamil version of Thanks too...For your info Tamil is not my mother tongue...I speak Telugu (my mother tongue)...Learnt to speak Tamil and can also manage to some extent with Bhojpuri, Maithili, Maghahi besides Hindi...keenly interested in Indian Languages...

Unknown said...

Ippo than rendu movie um parthen... rendum excellent.. but kamal made this perfect... athuvum antha in "bhayatha un kannula parthuten" dialogue varumpothu kamal sir Oda kannula nazzer sir Oda face therium... apurom Ada ithu pola ve namba lionardo nadicha THE DEPARTED um kitta thatta ithe story than bha... Enna inga terrorist anga gangster