Monday, March 31, 2008

What's in a name!

I am so thankful to my dad for marrying a Hindu woman, despite coming from a devout christian family. I have heard the weirdest of names on my dad's side. When I say weird, I am talking about the combination of the first, middle and last names. Yes, they have all three names. Usually Tamilians don't realize they really have a last name until they come to the U.S. We always have our father's name as initial(s). I am sure if my dad had married a Chrisitian Nadar woman, I would have had a name like, Paul Pandiyan Ponnudurai or Praveen Joy Jacob. I don't have anything against those names, but my roomies in Norman would have had a field day with a name like that. I have cousins with names, Emerson Brittus Tamilarasu and Sobers Solomon Devasagayam. The culprit in the case of the latter, atleast for the first name Sobers, is my dad. He was a big fan of Gary Sobers - an all-time great of West Indies cricket - and he made sure that his nephew had his name. If you are wondering why there is a Hindu name sandwiched (or on the side) between two English names, it's all due to the fact that they are all converted chrsitians, probably converted 4 or 5 generations ago. They let go of the Hindu part but they still cling on to the Nadar part, which can be blamed for all the crazy permutations and combinations of names. Let me finish it off with a little secret: I was also smothered with a long name when I was baptized in a church in a remote village called Kalunguvilai in Thirunelveli, hoping that I would turn into a choir boy one day. Any guesses?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

very nice post Praveen!! liked it

B

Parupps said...

Two comments on the same day!!! That has never happened. Thanks! ;)